15 September 2018
ddcui is a Qt-based graphical user interface for ddcutil. An initial alpha release is now available on github. ddcui must currently be built from source - there are no pre-built (e.g. dpkg or rpm) packages. For addtional information and rudimentary build instructions, see files README.md and BUILDING.md.
01 September 2018
Release 0.9.2 contains minor enhancements and bug fixes.
27 May 2018
Release 0.9.1 fixes the cause of a failure that may occur on command environment --verbose when examining an extremely large log file.
13 May 2018
Release 0.9.0 contains minor enhancements and a few very minor bug fixes. However. the C API is extensively revised (see API Changes in Release 0.9.0).
Two enhancements will be of interest to general users:
- The setvcp command now allows new values for Continuous type features to be specified as relative values, e.g. the following commands increase or decrease the value of the brightness feature by 5.
$ ddcutil setvcp 10 + 5 $ ddcutil setvcp 10 - 5
Note that parsing requires that "+" and "-" be surrounded by spaces.
- Table type features are by default not included in most feature groups specified on getvcp, e.g. getvcp known.
Features of type Table are rare. The DDC/CI spec does not provide a clean way for getvcp to determine that a table
feature does not exist. As a result, getvcp typically has to exceed its retry count before giving up.
(Exclusion of table features does not occur if a feature is explicitly specified by its hex code, or for feature group TABLE.)
The --no-table (formerly --notable) and -show-table options explicitly control this behavior.
20 January 2018
Release 0.8.6 contains a few minor externally visible enhancements and bug fixes, along with non-upwardly compatible changes to the C API. Most current users will see no need to upgrade.
ddcutil is now in the repositories for the upcoming Ubuntu 18.04 release and the openSUSE Tumbleweed rolling release.
16 November 2017
Release 0.8.5 contains a large number of minor enhancements and bug fixes. Users of ddcutil on 32 bit platforms and those on the Raspberry Pi should upgrade.
15 October 2017
Package ddcutil has been sponsored into Debian and is now included in Debian Testing. It is on track to be part of the next Debian release, which means it should eventually appear in downstream distributions such as Ubuntu. Note that only package ddcutil, containing the command line version of ddcutil, is currently in the Debian repositories. The shared library packages, including the C and Python APIs, are not yet part of Debian.
22 July 2017
Release 0.8.4 primarily contains packaging changes to meet Fedora distribution standards.
17 May 2017
Release 0.8.2 contains minor enhancements, primarily to diagnostics in the environment and interrogate commands.
05 May 2017
Release 0.8.1 is a bugfix release that addresses a segfault that can occur when scanning for USB connected monitors.
01 May 2017
Release 0.8.0 contains new features intended to address issues with particular monitors and user environments, and to improve performance
The most significant changes visible to users are:
- If there are multiple monitors and option --async is specified, initial monitor checks are performed in separate threads. Users with multiple monitors should see significantly better startup time.
- If a display is specified by its I2C bus number (option --bus) and option --nodetect is specified, global display detection is skipped, improving performance.
- By default, setvcp and loadvcp now read the VCP value after it has been set, to confirm that the monitor has made the change requested.
- Command getvcp --terse now reports VCP settings in a form that is easily machine readable.
- The C API has been extensively revised. Many names have changed for consistency and clarity.
(Apologies to those of you who have written applications.)
29 April 2017
At some time in the recent past, the files for release 0.7.3 in the OpenSUSE Build Service were corrupted with files from the test system. Symptoms of this corruption include
- Prefixing a VCP feature code number with "0x" causes a segfault, e.g. "ddcutil setvcp 0x10 50"
- Command line option "--verify" is recognized
As of this morning, the production ddcutil project on OBS was restored to release 0.7.3.
05 March 2017
Release 0.7.3 is a maintenance release. There is no need to install it unless you are experiencing problems.
This release introduces the following features:
- Command ddcutil detect --verbose shows additional information.
- Command ddcutil environment --verbose implements additional diagnostic tests.
- configure option --enable-drm controls whether DRM is used to enhance the diagnostics of command ddcutil environment --verbose. If enable-drm=yes, package libdrm-dev or libdrm-devel (depending on Linux distribution) must be installed to build ddcutil. Setting --enable-drm=no affects only diagnostic output, not normal execution.
01 February 2017
- Fixes a critical bug in release 0.7.1 where insufficient privileges on a /dev/i2c-n device causes program termination.
- ddcutil interrogate always executes with --set-slave-address in effect
- Minor improvements to ddcutil environment and ddcutil interrogate output
- Minor improvements to ddcutil detect --verbose
- Add explanations for additional errno values
27 January 2017
Release 0.7.1 is a maintenance release. There is no need to install it unless you are experiencing problems.
This release introduces the following features:
- Command option --force-slave-address causes ddcutil to attempt to take control of slave addresses on the I2C bus even if they are in use by another driver. This may aid in certain situations where monitors on an I2C bus are not properly detected. See Instrumentation and Tuning)
03 January 2017
Release 0.7 introduces the following features:
- C API, exposed by shared library libddcutil. See API.
- A new command line option --mfg, allows for the 3 character manufaturer id found in the EDID to used as part of monitor selection.
- The monitor feature and capabilities portion of interrogate is also exposed by the new probe command which explores the capabilities string and features found on a single monitor.
openSUSE Build Service packaging of release 0.7.0 is complete. Owing to Launchpad constraints, the PPA will not be correct until ddcutil's release is incremented, i.e. until release 0.7.1
21 November 2016
The most recent release of ddcutil is 0.6.1. This is a maintenance release and need not be installed unless you are experiencing problems. For details, see Release Notes.
01 October 2016
As of release 0.6, the name of this program changed from ddctool to ddcutil to avoid confusion with a commerical datacenter program also named ddctool.
The following are affected:
|Object||Old name||New Name|
|Web site URL||http://www.ddctool.com||http://www.ddcutil.com|